Thursday 13 December 2007

Wakefield autumn newsletter

Hello everyone and welcome to the autumn edition of our region Newsletter. I have decided that a Newsletter every month is unnecessary and time consuming so starting from now we will have autumn, winter and spring as standard and any other supplements added as and where necessary. I would also prefer to Email the Newsletter to as many members as possible to avoid the need for printing, therefore if you do not currently receive an electronic version and would like to please advise your Email address ASAP so I can add you to the contacts list. Thank you.
MC
1st Outing Market Weighton
What a complete contrast this proved to be what with me, Pete, James and Mark enjoying furious sport from three different swims hundreds of yards apart while everyone else sat behind motionless floats or alarms on what turned out to be a very warm and pleasant day. Even Mick and Tom who usually do very well on this water couldn’t tempt anything other than an odd perch despite thrashing the water to foam on their walkabout from one end of the length to the other. James had got off to a flying start by catching a double seconds after casting in although he sportingly admitted it didn’t count as it was landed before the 8 o’clock start. For the first 3 hours I couldn’t get a second rod in as I was kept busy either landing fish one after the other for Pete and catching quite a few myself, in fact on a couple of occasions we were both playing fish at the same time although I still cant understand why he was catching the doubles and me the jacks perhaps the saying ‘age before beauty’ has some significance here ! Peter proved he really does have golden spheres when he launched his rig into orbit up the canal and 10 minutes later it came down with snow on it some 100 yards or so behind his bait which had refrozen on the way down. I of course commiserated on his misfortune at losing his bait but to my surprise my efforts at consoling him were rebuffed in a most coarse and abrupt manner as he wound his reel handle like a man possessed his lead skimming across the surface producing a wake that could have got him prosecuted for bank erosion when he suddenly stopped winding as his rod arched over and he turned to me grinning all over his face as he exclaimed “ I’ve got another one “ the fish had actually grabbed his bare hook and was hooked fairly in the corner of the mouth. I then congratulated him at great length on his skill and prowess and felt humbled to be in the presence of a man who can catch fish without the need of bait ! (the twat)
Further up the canal Malcolm was taking his observation of pike feeding habits to the next level as he dived in to observe his quarry more closely, apparently James wasn’t too impressed with Malcolm’s synchronized swimming demonstration and oiked him out unceremoniously and left him to dry in the warm sunshine.
I am not aware of any further excitement as by early afternoon the feeding spell appeared to be over except for Golden Balls who had to have one last cast which produced yet another double to take his points tally on one outing to the highest I can remember, in fact I think he caught more in one day than he did all last year. Pete is definitely on a roll at the moment so much so that I am thinking of getting his name engraved on the doubles and outings trophy already. That said it is early days and anything can happen especially as we are fishing some different venues as chosen by you the members.
Outings 2007/2008.
VENUE
ORGANISOR
DATE
START
FINISH
COST
ROUNDAY PARK
PETER GREEN
18/11/07
8.00
4.00
TBA
HORNSEA MERE
DAVE EVANS
16/12/07
POCKLINGTON CANAL
MARK WOOD
13/1/08
STAINFORTH & KEADBY CANAL
ANDY SCHOFIELD
17/02/08
WATH LAKE
PHIL HEATON
16/03/08
2nd Outing Dam Flask
This one was a bit of a leveler as I did not receive any reports of a fish being caught. Andy got one on which had everyone sitting on the edge of their seat in anticipation until it fell off and we all slumped back again until a little while later so did I, my alarm gave it’s magical but infrequently heard tone as the heavy head was pulled from the line and my rod arched into a very satisfying bend for a few seconds before straightening and I wound in to find my bait striped of it’s scales and bitten to the bone. Pete announced to everyone within a 2 mile radius that I had just lost the biggest fish in the lake which would easily have been a new Yorkshire record and Neville sat at his side observed quite dryly that he was going to tell me to wait a little longer before striking but had decided not to ! I am in desperate need of some new fishing partners before I commit some heinous crime involving a screw point bank stick and a bottle of fish oil !
Nothing of note happened so not a lot to report except for the numpty who managed to capsize his fancy rowing boat rite in front of us and despite our uncharitable mutterings he managed to eventually climb back on board and bugger off. On a lighter note there was plenty of fit totty jogging round the lake which proved to be a welcome distraction to the inactive alarms and motionless floats. Phil entertained himself by feeding all his deadbaits to a tame Heron which by the time it had finished could hardly get off the ground. We tried convincing the bailiff that a chair lift should be installed to ease the burden of struggling back up the path to the road under a mountain of tackle but I’m not sure we were successful. So let us look forward to the next outing on an untried venue for us where anything could happen and there is still everything to fish for.
MC
POINTS TABLE
Name
Fished
Last points
Gained
Total
PETE GREEN
2
130
15
145
JAMES ALDRED
2
105
10
115
MICK CULPAN
2
85
15
100
MICK BAKER
1
30
0
30
TOM BAKER
1
20
0
20
ANDY NAYLOR
2
20
15
35
DAVE EVANS
1
15
0
15
ANDY SCHOFIELD
1
15
0
15
JOHN JAGGER
1
15
0
15
MALCOLM HEPWORTH
2
15
15
30
IAIN WRIGHT
1
15
0
15
MARK GREEN
2
90
10
100
MARC GREEN
1
0
15
15
PHIL HEATON
1
0
15
15
SPIKE
1
0
15
15
Please Note
IF ANY OF THE ABOVE IS INCORRECT PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I MAY MAKE AMMENDMENTS.
IT WOULD BE MOST HELPFUL IF YOU CAN REMEMBER TO COMPLETE YOUR POINTS CARD AND RETURN TO ME OR MICK BEFORE LEAVING THE VENUE.OR ALTERNATIVLY PLEASE
E-MAIL YOUR RESULTS ASAP. THANK YOU.
PG
POINTS are awarded as follows:
1ROD = 20, 2 RODS = 15, 3 RODS = 10, 4 RODS = 5
PIKE UNDER 10LB = 10 EACH
PIKE OVER 10LB = 25 EACH
PIKE OVER 20LB = 50 EACH
Cross Pennine Challenge
Re the cross Pennine challenge South Lancs V Wakefield the date I agreed with Pete is Sunday 6th January & the venue Market Weighton Canal pump house stretch, most people have probably had enough turkey & booze by then & are ready to get out fishing again. I have bought a trophy for the event & it will be for the biggest total weight of pike caught by any one angler that day. I would like this to be an annual event to promote networking between the regions, the year after we can host it on a venue on the Lancashire side of the Pennines. That way we can have a bit of diversity.
Market Weighton is about an hour & three-quarter from Wigan so I very much doubt the lads would encroach on the fishing there, probably just fishing it on the outing.
The South Lancs region also have a couple of club outings on Hollongworth lake in February & Pennington flash in March, so if some of the Wakey lads would like a days piking over the hill they are more than welcome to come along to those too.
Tight lines
Jon Neafcy
Members Report’s
Hello
I have recently got the "buzz" back for fishing and been to a local river quite frequently, I fish a few miles further upstream to where we normally have our lure events. I have been catching pike and perch in large numbers, the pike, as expected, have been quite small, but I have been very surprised at the quality of perch in there.
I have also been to North Wales (Anglesey) and had a fantastic 4 or 5 days fishing, no bass, but plenty of pollack and a few mackerel all on lures
I went to a spot on the Menai Straits one morning before breakfast (1.1/2 hours fishing) and had 12 pollack, all on lures, all returned to the water, fantastic sport.
Mick Baker
Fairburn Ings Permit.
Just a quick note to you all before the next meeting on the 13th. If anyone would like a Fairburn permit please bring a passport type photo to the meeting and you will be able to get them there. You must be a paid up member of PAC and I if you are not then I can give you your membership on the night (please let me know). I have only fished it twice first time 6 fish 4 doubles, second time I blanked (Mick was with me too much female pheromones on his hands scared them off) but I did kick 16 angler’s (term used very loosely) off which shows its potential. We are having a work party on this water on Saturday 17th November so any one fishing it please come along and help out. We will need saws, branch cutters and anything you might have to help cut and clear swims. It may also be a good idea to equip yourself with a cosh or baseball bat and a very big dog as some of the backwoods locals have only just learned how to stand on two legs but their hands still drag on the floor ! Again please let me know just how many are coming we will have Darlington lads there as well.
Underbank Permit
These are selling out fast and not many are left however some may be available at next meeting if you can provide a recent passport type photo and £70.00 for a full two years membership commencing 01-11-07.
Guest Speakers.
November 13th
We welcome Shane Paterson from Durham. Shane will talk on fishing north Yorkshire rivers and lakes.
December11th
John Keely from Weatherby a local lad so always worth the effort in turning up even if it is to find out some other venues.
January 8th
Just a club meeting too close to New Year to get a speaker.
February 12th
Jon Neafcy from Wigan I know you know Jon has had some big fish so it should be a good night.
March 11th
Speaker to be arranged.
April 8th
Presentation night and my last farewell speech as I step down as Ro.
PG

No comments: